Drug and alcohol addiction treatment is not one size fits all. This is especially true when comparing treatment programs for men and women. While many addiction treatment centers treat men and women together, you may want to consider the benefits of receiving gender-specific addiction therapy. Getting help at a women’s addiction recovery center can make all the difference in achieving a full and lasting recovery.
At Painted Desert Recovery, we are dedicated to women’s addiction recovery and tailor our programs to the unique needs of women who are struggling with trauma and addiction. Our caring staff is trauma-informed and ready to help guide you on your journey to a clean, healthy lifestyle. If you or a loved one needs support with overcoming addiction, call us today at 844.540.0357 or complete our online form to learn more about how our gender-specific addiction therapy can help.
Women’s Addiction Recovery vs. Men’s Addiction Therapy
We are all human, so why would men and women need different addiction treatment programs? While it may come as a surprise, there are quite a few differences in how men and women experience addiction that impacts their needs for successful recovery.
Some factors can help make a case for the importance of gender-specific addiction therapy, such as:
- The root cause of addiction can be drastically different between men and women. Men tend to focus on the benefits of using drugs or alcohol and are more likely to use with the expectation that they will feel more focused, social, or energized. Women are more likely to use substances to numb painful emotions or due to a history of substance abuse in their family or their partner. Knowing what caused an addiction to develop in the first place can help guide the course of treatment to effect lasting recovery. Otherwise, you may be treating the symptoms only and not addressing the deeper issue.
- The incidence of co-occurring mental health conditions tends to be higher in women. While mental health concerns are often correlated with addiction and should be considered during treatment, it especially needs to be a part of women’s addiction recovery programs.
- The stigma of getting addiction treatment is perceived differently by men and women. Women are not usually as hesitant as men about asking for help with addiction, so they more often enter into treatment voluntarily and earlier into their addiction.
What Are the Benefits of Gender-Specific Addiction Therapy?
Choosing addiction treatment customized for your gender can help you get the most out of your recovery experience. You may find different approaches and addiction therapies in programs designed specifically for women’s addiction recovery. This will help ensure that women receive the most appropriate, effective care for their mental health and addiction.
Some of the benefits of gender-specific addiction therapy include:
- Getting to the root of addiction and treating it more effectively – Men’s and women’s programs can spend more time addressing the most relevant issues so that clients will get more out of their treatment.
- Higher level of comfort – Both men and women tend to feel more comfortable opening up in group therapy when they are in a group consisting solely of their own gender. This may be especially true in cases where the client has been involved in domestic or sexual abuse.
- Receiving customized therapies – The right therapeutic approach can help clients heal more thoroughly. Women may need more trauma-informed therapy to experience lasting recovery.
Discover Safe, Welcoming Women’s Addiction Recovery at Painted Desert Recovery
If you or a woman you care about is suffering from trauma and addiction, Painted Deserted Recovery is here to gently guide you back on the path to healthy living. Call us today at 844.540.0357 or complete our online form to learn more about how we can support you through recovery.